Yes, leptospirosis can be prevented by several ways:
- Avoid contact with animal urine or body fluids, especially if there are cuts or abrasions of the skin.
- Wear protective clothing or footwear near soil or water that may be contaminated with animal urine
- Consume boiled water, especially during the rainy season.
- Avoid swimming or wading in muddy ponds and slowly moving streams especially those located near farms or stagnant water.
- Control rats and mice around the home on a regular basis