Name of Office:
National Voluntary Blood Services Program (NVBSP)
A. Before blood donation
- You will be asked to fill up a Donor's Form upon arrival at the blood collection site.
- Questions regarding your health history wil be asked by a trained professional staff.
- Pre-donation educationand counselling will be given by a trained professional staff.
- Your weight, blood pressure, pulse rate and temperature will be checked.
- You will be examined by a physician.
- Small sample of blood will be taken to check your blood type and hemoglobin level.
Screening and selection procedure will usually take about 10 to 15 minutes. You are encouraged to give accurate data for your own safety and that of the recipient. All information gathered wil be treated with utmost confidentiality.
B. During Blood Donation
- You will be asked to lie down on the blood donor's couch for blood collection which will be done by a skilled phlebotomist.
- The amount of blood which will be taken and will be determined by a physician. It will depend mainly on your body weight and does not exceed 450 ml.
- This will take another 10 to 15 minutes.
C. After Blood Donation
- You will be advised to rest for 10 more minutes.
- Beverage and simple snacks will be served.
- Post-donation education and counselling will be given by a trained professional staff.
- You will be advised to drink more fluids.
- The volume of fluids taken is completely replaced by the body within 3 to 5 hours.