Name of Office: NCDPC
The following practices should never be done anymore to the newborn:
- Manipulation such as routine suctioning of secretions if the baby is crying and breathing normally. Doing so may cause trauma or introduce infection.
- Putting the newborn on a cold or wet surface.
- Wiping or removal of vernix caseosa if present
- Foot printing
- Bathing earlier than 6 hours of life
- Unnecessary separation of the newborn primarily for weighing, anthropometric measurements, intramuscular administration of vitamin K, Hepatitis B vaccine and BCG vaccine
- Transferring of the newborn to the nursery or neonatal intensive care unit without any indication