The best methods to treat alcohol dependency vary, depending upon an individual's medical and personal needs.
- Some heavy drinkers who recognize their problem appear to recover on their own.
- Others recover through participation in the programs of Alcoholics Anonymous or other self-help groups.
- Some alcoholics require long-term individual or group therapy, which may inlcude hospitalization.
- Treatment can also be done in community setting.
- Prognosis is good even if a person is pressured into treatment.
- Patients who come for voluntary treatment have the best prognosis.
- Voluntary mutual help organizations play a large role in the treatment.
- Effective alcohol control policies are also needed.