Name of Office: POPCOM
1. The central idea of the program is responsible parenthood. It is oriented towards the overall improvement of family well-being; it is not concerned with just fertility reduction. It views family welfare, including that of the individual welfare, as the central objective of the national development program. Thus, the program promotes family development and responsible parenting. It believes that parenting and raising a family is a shared responsibility of the husband and the wife.
2. The program is non-coercive. It respects the rights of couples to determine the size of their family and choose voluntarily the means to do so in accordance with their moral convictions and religious beliefs, and cultural mores and norms. It believes in informed choice.
3. The program rejects abortion as a means to control fertility. Abortion is illegal and the program will never consider it as a family planning method.
4. The program promotes self-reliance and multi-sectoral participation. It gives priority to projects that are self-sustaining and with community participation. It encourages coordinative and participative approaches through the participation of Local Government Units and Non-Government Organizations and other critical stakeholders.
5. The program adheres to gender equality and equity which is non-discriminatory in all political, social, and economic development concerns.