Ways of protecting water from contamination during handling, transport and storage
• always use clean water containers provided with cover
• wash containers after every use
• clean and disinfect storage tanks at least every quarter
• avoid hand contact with water during transport
Methods of water treatment
• Boiling - water should be brought to a rolling boil for at least two (2) minutes
• Disinfection - by using chlorine
1. Prepare a stock solution by dissolving 1 level of powder. Chlorine compounds (65% to 75% available chlorine) to 1 liter of water.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of stock solution to 5 gallons (20 liters) of water. Mix thoroughly and let it stand for atleast 30 minutes before using.