Filariasis commonly known as “elephantiasis” is a disease caused by a parasite transmitted by mosquito
Signs and Symptoms
• Pain and swelling of the breast, vagina, scrotum, legs and arms
• Wear long sleeve shirt and long pants when working in farms or areas endemic of filariasis.
• Sleep under a mosquito net.
• Selective treatment with DEC (Diethylcarbamazine Citrate) is given to people with clinical manifestations of the disease.
• Mass treament of the people living in established endemic areas.
• Medicines (DEC and albendazole) are given once a year for 5 years.