The El Niño phenomenon is characterized by extreme climatic conditions; extreme temperature rise with a little rainfall, and at the opposite extreme, there is unusually heavy rainfall.
· Diseases related to water scarcity or shortage such as diarrhea and skin diseases
· Red Tide Blooms : Paralytic shellfish poisoning
· Disorders associated with high temperatures: heat cramps, heat exhaustion, exertional heat injury and heat stroke
What to do?
· Conserve water and use it wisely.
· Protect water sources from contamination.
· Drink more fluids.
· Listen to the updates on shellfish ban.
· Wear light clothing.
· Avoid strenuous physical activity.